23 October 2008

A Fine Night for Flying

These last few days have been hot. Really hot. I don't like hot days under any circumstances, but a hot, dry, windy day in late October is an abomination, truly it is. Even hot, dry, windy days have their compensations, however, and the atmosphere these last few nights has been unbelievably clear. Since the moon is waning and doesn't rise till quite late, this means that a great many more stars have been visible than usual for our heavily-populated area. Two nights ago I saw Orion for the first time this fall. True, he was practically lying on his back along the eastern horizon, but it was Orion nonetheless, and seeing Orion always makes me feel that it's properly fall regardless of the weather.
It helps that the wind cools down considerably at night. It isn't exactly cool, but neither is it hot, and the fact that this wind blows from the desert always makes it feel a bit wilder in its dryness. Windy autumn nights are, in my opinion, glorious (I completely agree with Mrs Whatsit about wild nights) and meant for flying. I'd like to fly around being towed by a flock of pigeons just like the Little Prince, or ride a broomstick like Kiki. Really I feel like this all the time, but on these windy, starry nights I feel that it might just be possible to do so if only I could develop the knack.

1 comment:

angela said...

I love this picture - and the post. I read the Little Prince this summer.

Blair, we should blog friends. Maybe because our blog names have the same syntactical structure.