04 March 2009

Come Out to Ramble

It's been a lovely rainy day, with patches of sun breaking through and big heavy clouds. The sweet peas are blooming, the orange blossoms are opening, and I got my lettuces in the ground a couple of days ago. It smells like spring, all green and floral and damp. Here's a snippet of A.E. Housman, because hey, it's Wednesday:

'Tis spring; come out to ramble
The hilly brakes around,
For under thorn and bramble
About the hollow ground
The primroses are found. -from A Shropshire Lad

Of course, with so many nice things growing outside, one simply must bring something indoors. I've been putting little bunches of one kind of bloom (or tree, in this case) into tiny Moroccan-style shot glasses I found at Sur La Table this past weekend, and I bought a gorgeous bunch of ranunculus at the farmer's market that is a perfect fit for the Austrian pottery vase I stole from my mother:

1 comment:

K Hiskey said...

Mum says since they are so beautiful, it is okay that you are a thief!