24 November 2008

Painterly Fashion

I've gotten into the habit of painting my clothes lately- most clothing as it comes from the store is too boring, and since I cannot afford the more interesting designers that I love, I make my own basic clothing into the kinds of things I want to wear. These boots, for instance, I bought from Anthropologie on sale. I love them, but after having only worn them a handful of times over the course of a year, I decided they needed something extra, hence the leaves.
This jacket is from Target, and I was inspired by the pattern on a Leifsdotter jacket in the most recent Anthropologie catalog. The jacket has the added bonus of being somewhat smock-shaped, which I think lends itself nicely to the hand-painted decoration (also, like Hobbes, I just like to say 'smock').
This fascination with painting on clothing is long-standing; in junior high I used to paint on the jeans I was wearing when I was supposed to be helping my mother with her after-school art classes. It seems to have become a habit, and at least I no longer draw on walls (much).

1 comment:

pearl said...

I, too, think on Hobbes every time the word smock pops up. smocksmocksmock.